To apply, CLICK HERE.
Plan and implement relative health, safety and environmental programs and activities to maximize the strategic use of regulatory compliance which includes local, state and federal agencies.
Work with key management to ensure a positive, healthy, safe and incident-free work environment. This position would also respond to emergency situations when they arise.
- Developing, implementing and managing HS&E policies, programs, and procedures.
- Compiling, maintaining and filing regulatory and statistical reports concerning health, safety and environmental-related data in compliance with the local, state and federal agencies (OSHA, EPA, NJDEP, DOT, NFPA, etc.)
- Scheduling, planning and executing all HSE functions in coordination with Operations and in compliance with safety procedures, relevant safety, environmental, legal and ethical rules.
- Providing assistance for emergency response to environmental, structural, and employee incidents.
- Training staff to promptly respond to HSE-related issues, concerns, etc. and advising management immediately.
- Assisting with new employee safety orientation program and employee safety training.
- Performing inspections (safety audits) to detect existing or potential health, incident and environmental hazards, determining corrective or preventative measures where indicated, and following up to ensure measures have been implemented.
- Maintaining the alcohol and drug testing program.
- Providing assistance with the investigation or all incidents and injuries from initial report to closure including implementing corrective actions.
- Contracting with vendors to provides employee safety training that cannot be conducted in-house.
- Assisting plant personnel and leadership in enforcing safety and environmental regulations and codes.
- Collaborating with Human Resources in administering a workers’ compensation program.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of health, safety and environmental principles and methods for accurate reporting.
- Excellent organizational, time management, multi-tasking, communication, interpersonal, training, and presentation skills.
- Strong EHS technical knowledge with a can-do attitude, demonstrated results-oriented approaches, and hands-on operational skills.
- Ability to develop and implement procedures and programs, adapt to a fast-paced environment.
- Manage a broad technical function, adjust quickly to a changing and highly-technical environment, and interact with people of different educational and cultural backgrounds at all levels.
- IT-based skills including word-processing, spreadsheet applications, database management, and electronic communication methods.
- Must possess business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- The ability to effectively communicate as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Occupational Safety & Health or related discipline is required, Prefer advanced degree; Master’s in Industrial Hygiene, Health Physics or related discipline.
- Certified Safety Professional (CSP) or Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH); or ability to acquire professional certifications and credentials
- Minimum of 4 to 6 years of experience working in a petrochemical environment.
- Knowledge of petrochemical site best practices and safety procedures.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to perform the essential functions of this job successfully.
- Climb ladders to heights over 65 feet.
- Work in high noise and dust areas with appropriate PPE.
- Vapor-mist cartridge respirator may be required.
- Able to repeatedly lift 50 pounds.
This position will initially be located in Baton Rouge, LA during construction. This position will ultimately be located at the plant site in St. James, LA.
This is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, skills, efforts, requirements or working conditions associated with the job. While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job, management reserves the right to revise the job or to require that other related tasked be performed as assigned.