To apply, CLICK HERE.
Central Louisiana Technical Community College (CLTCC) invites applications for the part-time/adjunct position of Adult Basic Education Instructor located at the Fort Polk Site, in Fort Polk, LA (Vernon Parish). CLTCC provides adult basic education instruction in ten different parishes (Allen, Catahoula, Concordia, Grant, LaSalle, Natchitoches, Rapides, Sabine, Vernon, and Winn).
Reporting to the Assistant Director of Adult Education, the Adjunct Adult Basic Education Instructor provides instructional services to adults and youths who are out of school in basic skills such as reading, writing, and mathematics with the purpose of increasing the students’ educational functioning levels and also preparing these students to obtain their high school equivalency diploma or HiSET. This position will be located at Fort Polk U.S. Military Base. Any chosen applicant must pass the applicable background check necessary to work on a U.S. Military Base. This position may work a maximum of 28 hours per week.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for teaching Adult Basic Education, and high school equivalency preparation courses using instructional methods geared toward the adult learner in a classroom setting.
- Plans lessons and curriculum based on the learning needs of culturally diverse and multi-skill level students which prepares students to pass the HiSET and/or enhance basic education skills.
- Responsible for teaching workforce preparation skills to students.
- Responsible for teaching the HiSET test areas (reading, writing, social studies, science, and math) or adult
- basic education skills areas (writing, math, language).
- Plans and prepares relevant and practical classroom lessons and monitors student’s performance.
- Provides instructional services in community education, which may include digital literacy, health literacy,
- financial literacy, and workforce preparation skills.
- Implements a variety of instructional delivery methods, that include group or individualized instruction as
- well as computer programs that help students make learning gains. Relies on experience and judgment to
- accomplish goals.
- Makes use of online instructional programs to supplement in-class instructional delivery.
- Administers Test of Adult Basic Education (TABE) tests to determine individual progress.
- Creating a climate that encourages and supports learning.
- Enrolls and registers new students into the Adult Education Program.
- Communicates with students and community about program services as part of outreach and enrollment growth effort.
- Assists with and promotes student transitions into the workforce and postsecondary education through programs such as Integrated Education & Training (IET) or the “Five for Six” Scholarship Program.
- Administers the Official HiSET Practice Test (OPT) to students.
- Completes and maintains appropriate student registration, attendance, and assessment records, and ensures
- timely submission of data to data-entry staff for National Reporting System (NRS) input.
- Responsible for effective classroom management that enhances student learning.
- Upon employment, must successfully complete the WorkReady U Instructor’s Certification Course (if
- not already WorkReady U certified).
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Director or Assistant Director of Adult Education.
- Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of adult learner and alternative educational methods and have the ability to apply these methods for adult, at-risk teens and multi-cultural students.
- Knowledge of applicable laws, codes, regulations, policies, and procedures related to Adult Basic Education.
- Ability to teach students of diverse abilities and backgrounds and overcome barriers to success in a multi-level class.
- Ability to build a classroom environment that is conducive to learning and appropriate to the maturity and interests of students. Ability to relate well to different groups of students of different ages and ability levels.
- Ability to use a variety of audio-visual equipment.
- Must be able to communicate effectively both orally and through correct written grammar and usage.
- Must have good classroom management skills. Must have a strong desire to work with people from a
- broad range of backgrounds.
- Team-player who can collaborate with colleagues.
- Participates in curriculum development.
- Attends in-service, staff meetings, and state training/professional development.
- Maintains a clean and professional classroom environment.
- Possesses excellent communication and organizational skills.
- Upon employment, must successfully complete the WorkReady U Instructor’s Certification Course
- (if not already WorkReady U certified).
- Enthusiasm for the subject material that will foster a love of learning by students.
- Required Minimum Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university;
- Demonstrated commitment to teaching and learning;
- Demonstrated proficiency in oral and written English;
- Basic Computer knowledge of Microsoft Office, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Preferred (Desired) Qualifications:
- Master’s Degree from an accredited college or university;
- Training in Adult Education or experience in working in an Adult Education/HSE program;
- WorkReady U experience;
- Three (3) years of teaching experience;
- Elementary, Middle School, High School Teacher Certification education endorsement preferred but
- not required;
- Strong communication skills, including both written and oral, with an ability to prioritize, negotiate,
- and work with a variety of personalities;
- Experience with traditional and non-traditional students from diverse backgrounds.Compensation:
Adjunct Instructor compensation is $25.00/hour. This position will work a maximum of 28 hours per week. Schedule will vary based on program enrollment.
Applicants for this position should submit:
- 1) A cover letter
- 2) Resume (to include date(s) of employment and date(s) educational degree was obtained)
- 3) Official college and university transcript(s) showing the awarded/conferred degree to meet
- educational qualifications. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable at application; however, original
- transcript(s) are due at hire
- 4) Names and contract information for three work-related references to:
Human Resources CLTCC
516 Murray Street Alexandria, LA 71301
Or via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications accepted until position is filled
Central Louisiana Technical Community College is committed to diversity and is an equal opportunity/equal access employer.