The Residential Counselor I supports the Mission and Values of Boys Hope Girls Hope. The Residential Counselor I is responsible for the operations of the home and creating a family-like atmosphere that supports the development of the full child. The Residential Counselor I is part of a team of professionals and volunteers. They perform their duties relatively free from direct supervision, acting at all times in a professional manner.
I. Child Development
- Know and follow Boys Hope Girls Hope program policies and procedures regarding the care and development of scholars
- Assume responsibility for scholars in residence, including daily decisions regarding health, safety, and discipline
- Responsible for physical, emotional, social, spiritual, and academic development of scholars living in home in accordance with individual scholar service plans and Boys Hope Girls Hope program policies
- Provide individual assistance and tutoring as needed.
- Assist in college preparation of each scholar.
III. Household Management
- Assure the home functions in accordance with Boys Hope Girls Hope program and local licensing standards
- Ensure that maintenance needs are communicated for all program property
- Perform tasks necessary to maintain a clean and safe environment, and for home to function including cooking, cleaning, shopping, and driving
IV. Administrative and Record Keeping
- Complete required documentation of activities in a timely and accurate fashion
- Understand house budget, properly track and document all approved expenses
V. Community Relations
- Role model for scholars positive relations with neighbors, community groups, schools, authorities, peers and parents of scholars
- Have one of the following:
- Bachelors degree in social work, psychology, counseling, education or a related field and the equivalent of one year full-time work with a similar population.
- Bachelors degree in any field and one year experience working in a Boys Hope Girls Hope home.
- Be at least 21 years of age.
- Possess a valid driver’s license and a good driving record.
State licensing agencies may have additional requirements.
The position requires the following competencies for success:
- Able to communicate clearly and effectively with adolescents, their guardians or parents, co-workers and supervisors and other audiences verbally and in writing
- Be able to assist scholars in developing study and problem solving skills
- The ability to develop appropriate relationships with different populations, including scholars and their families
- Sensitivity to different religious backgrounds, and cultures
The position requires the ability to perform household tasks like shopping, cooking, cleaning and minor property care that may require bending, lifting and carrying. The position requires the ability to closely monitor the whereabouts and activities of several pre-adolescent and adolescent children in a multi-story home, as well as the ability to safely transport children in program vehicles. It may also require engaging in athletic, recreational and/or camping activities with the scholars.
The position requires obtaining CPR, first aid, and Therapeutic Crisis Intervention certification, and annual participation in continuing education, satisfied through in-house programs offered by Boys Hope Girls Hope or third party providers.
This position is focused primarily upon serving the scholars of the program through advancing the mission of the organization. The position may require living in the home in support of the goal of creating a family-like atmosphere, and the development of positive, committed relationships. The position will have at least an annual performance evaluation. While working within a home team schedule, staff will be required to be flexible with regard to the 24 hour, seven day a week needs of the Boys Hope Girls Hope scholars.
How to Apply
Qualified candidates may submit a resume and cover letter on our website https://bhghinternational.org/careers. Select the New Orleans Affiliate to see the menu of jobs available in New Orleans and select the position you wish to apply for. You will be prompted to enter your demographic information and upload your resume.