To apply, CLICK HERE.
Intralox, L.L.C., the world leader in conveyor equipment solutions utilizing modular plastic conveyor belts, has a position available for a Materials Specialist. The Materials Specialist will be responsible for continuously accelerating customer value and differentiating competitively within materials capabilities, while optimizing throughput to discover and drive the knowledge of new materials.
Intralox is a division of Laitram, L.L.C., with an extensive portfolio of innovative products and services that improve lives and optimize business worldwide each day. Intralox’s conveyance solutions enhance food safety, power e-commerce, and solve challenges for industries from automotive to industrial manufacturing to consumer goods.
Together, our 3,000+ global employees are reliable problem solvers, continuously developing and directly delivering solutions that have driven our customers’ growth worldwide for more than 45 years. We consistently and sustainably work together to create long-term value by continuously improving products, services, and processes for our customers. Our award-winning customer service team provides comprehensive support and access to technical experts to deliver fast, reliable solutions.
Intralox was founded upon the principle of doing the right thing, by treating customers, employees, and suppliers with honesty, fairness, and respect. We aim as a company to practice these principles every day, which is why we have been consistently recognized for innovation and workplace excellence.
We listen objectively, think creatively, and deliver results. To learn more about our company culture, philosophy, and benefits, please visit our company page.
- Support the development of new products by:
- Leading material improvement and development projects based on project requirements. Understanding product requirements through researching project specifications and conducting in-person interviews with customers and design team members based on project needs.
- Translating customer requirements into mechanical requirements and communicate that information to materials suppliers in the form of materials requirements.
- Collaborating and maintaining relationships with material suppliers and internal R&D teams to identify polymer options based on specifications.
- Researching polymer options that meet the required performance specifications. Recommending candidate materials for performance testing.
- Developing test plans and conducting appropriate tests to evaluate material performance.
- Creating and documenting performance specifications for new polymers based on new product problem definitions.
- Working with QC departments and suppliers to develop quality specifications for new products.
- Coordinating with Manufacturing groups during development and production cycles to both assist and troubleshoot issues. Contribute to the manufacturing of the product, including extrusion, injection molding and beyond.
- Utilize analytical chemistry to resolve polymer related issues with new and existing products including:
- Reviewing product complaints to determine if the issues are polymer related.
- Collaborating with internal and external laboratories to conduct root cause analysis. Interpreting results of lab tests.
- Researching new materials that will resolve current issues.
- Analyzing polymer issues related to chemical and environmental compatibility.
- Developing test plans and conducting tests to evaluate chemical and environmental compatibility.
- Recommending options to resolve polymer related issues.
- Must be a self-managed, hard-working, self-motivated individual.
- Ability to translate mechanical requirements into material specifications.
- Working knowledge of chemistry. Familiarity with basic chemical experiments and concepts. Understanding of material identification methods, e.g. FTIR, DSC, SEM, GPC etc.
- Proficiency in operating and developing experimental procedures on a wide array of analytical equipment.
- Design of experiment (DOE) skills. Hypothesis and data driven mindset.
- Executive communications skills. Ability to manage internal and external stakeholders as to information sharing, expectation management, and conflict resolution.
- Project management skills. Attention to details with eyes on our strategic goals.
- Must function well in a group structure.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience documenting laboratory procedure and test results.
- Experience with Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- 3-10 years of experience (PhD work would count toward this if applicable).
- Live in or move to New Orleans area.
- Ideal experience level (7-15 years of plastics, applications development).
- Combination of Mechanical and Chemical Degrees (e.g. chemical/mechanical engineering, physics, polymer science, chemistry, etc.) preferred.
- Background in industrial experience and manufacturing applications (e.g. food processing, automotive, etc.) is ideal.