To apply, CLICK HERE.
GENERAL SUMMARY: A worker who assembles subparts into completed assemblies prior to welding as specified by blueprints, work orders, or oral instructions under direct supervision.
DESIRED EDUCATION, KNOWLEDGE, AND/OR SKILLS:
· High school diploma/GED equivalent
· Valid driver’s license
· Written and verbal communication skills
· Knowledge of basic shop mathematics
· Experience in heavy structural fitting and fabrication
· Proficient in reading and understanding blueprints, shop drawings and welding symbols
· 1-2 years Structural Steel fitting experience
· Perform fitting tasks under the direction of the immediate supervisor
· Assess blueprints, drawings, and specifications to establish work requirements
· Organize work orders, and prepare accurate reports regarding tools, equipment, materials daily
· Conduct exact measurements, layout, and fitting tasks per drawings/diagrams in accordance with Southland’s procedures.
· Provide visual quality assurance
· Complete any relevant specific job duties as required by immediate supervision
· Operate punches, grinders, drills, saws, oxy-fuel torches, plasma cutters, and other basic equipment & handtools.
· Cut, drill, bevel and grind subparts as required to perform a quality end product.
· Perform weld prep (grinding, beveling, ect) as required.
· Move and/or organize material as needed to support fitting tasks.
· Maintain a clean and orderly workstation.
· Install temporary bracing as required to prevent distortion during the welding process.
· Adhere to all Southland Steel Fabricator’s, Inc. Safety Rules, Policies, and Procedures
· Maintain orderly and clean work area
· Attend all required safety meetings
· Inspect the tools and equipment prior to work each day to ensure they are free of defects
· Use hand and power tools safely at all times with correct guards in place
· Wear personal protective equipment in accordance with policy and adequate for specific tasks
· Tacking - Wear specific Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), including but not limited to:
· Welder’s helmet with appropriately shaded filter lens, with safety glasses under helmet
· Southland does not require FRC’s to work in our plant. Can we replace this with “Clothing to be in good repair, reasonably free of holes, tears, and frayed edges. Cotton pants & shirts required ”
· Heavy flame resistant gloves
· Respirators when welding harmful metal alloys or when ventilation is not adequate
· Steel/hard toe boots
· Hearing protection
· Cutting steel with torch:
· Wear either properly shaded safety glasses with a face shield or cutting goggles, hearing protection, steel/hard toe boots, gloves, and fire/flame resistant clothing
· Use proper friction lighters or other approved devices to light the torch
PHYSICAL AND ENVIRONMENTAL REQUIREMENTS:
In order to do the job, the following physical requirements are necessary:
· Ability to stand for long periods of time
· Ability to occasionally pull, push, carry, or lift tools, equipment or materials 50 lbs. or less
· Ability to withstand occasional bending, squatting, or crouching
· Ability to frequently handle (hold, seize, grasp, turn, etc.) tools, equipment, or material
· Ability to work in inclement weather conditions, to include cold, heat, and humidity
Wage: DOE and Fitter Classsification
Position requires pre-employment drug screening and background check
Management Discretion: The job duties and requirements that this document describes may be altered or supplemented at any time at the sole discretion of the employer
Employment-at-Will: This document does not create an employment contact, either express or implied. All employment is at-will.